Home > Blog > Nylon 66 (Polyamide 66) – Its History & Applications
Nylon 66 - Its History & Applications
Nylon 66 History
Nylon 66, also known as polyhexamethylene adipamide, is a type of polymer from the polyamide family that has become a cornerstone of industrial production. First synthesized by Wallace Hume Carothers, a renewed American chemist, at DuPont in 1935, this semi-crystalline polyamide has since shaped renowned industries due to its robustness, resilience, and adaptability.
The unique structure of nylon 66 – alternating units of hexamethylene diamine and adipic acid, hence its name – grants the polymer excellent mechanical strength, resilience to wear and tear, and impressive chemical resistance. It can withstand extreme conditions, making it suitable for automotive, electrical, and consumer goods applications, to name a few.
As we step into an era defined by environmental consciousness, the inherent durability and longevity of nylon 66 have made it a compelling candidate for recycling initiatives. Today, the incorporation of recycled nylon 66 into new products is playing a pivotal role in shaping a circular economy.
Did you know that World War II marked a significant chapter in nylon 66's history, as it was extensively used in parachutes, replacing silk and thus showcasing its potential on a global stage? Today, its applications span far beyond the battlefield, underpinning the everyday functionality of a myriad of products.
Nylon 66 Applications
Nylon 66 continues to underpin numerous sectors. Its outstanding characteristics – high melting point, exceptional tensile strength, and remarkable resistance to wear heat, and chemicals – have paved the way for its prolific use in diverse applications.
- Automotive Industry: Nylon 66, renowned for its strength and heat resistance, is extensively used in automotive components such as radiator end tanks, engine covers, and other under-the-hood parts, which demand resilience under high temperatures.
- Electrical & Electronics: Thanks to its excellent electrical insulation properties and flame resistance, nylon 66 finds use in cable ties, connectors, and circuit breaker components, ensuring the safe and efficient functioning of electronic devices.
- Textile & Fashion: Resistant to wear and tear, easy to dye, and with excellent elasticity, nylon 66 is a material of choice for sportswear, swimwear, and other high-stress garments.
- Furniture: The durability of nylon 66 contributes to long-lasting furniture components, such as chair bases and armrests, promising both strength and comfort.
- Industrial Equipment: From gears to bearings, nylon 66’s resistance to wear and its low friction coefficient make it ideal for various mechanical parts.
Nylon 66 at TP-Exports
At TP-Exports, our polymer division delivers a wide array of nylon 66 grades to meet industry needs globally, including.
- Prime Nylon 66: This high-quality, virgin polymer is ideal for high-demand applications where optimal strength and performance are guaranteed. Prime nylon 66 is perfect for use in automotive, aerospace, and high-end consumer goods.
- Recycled Nylon 66: As part of our commitment to sustainability, we offer recycled nylon 66 regrind and pellets, which deliver near-prime quality and performance. Suitable for various applications where environmental considerations are a priority, supporting a shift towards a circular economy.
- Nylon 66 Waste Feedstock: By utilising waste feedstock, we can contribute to the reduction of industrial waste and the promotion of a more sustainable manufacturing process. We deliver volumes of nylon 66 post-industrial waste feedstock for reprocessing, including in fibre, rigid and soft conditions.
With an industry-focused approach built on sustainability and transparency, we ensure every ton supplied carry’s the assurance of traceability and risk mitigation, bringing resilience to your supply chain and delivering better raw material solutions.
To explore our capacity in more detail, click here for more information. For quotations or additional details, please click here to contact us. With TP-Exports, you’re choosing a partner dedicated to providing sustainable and reliable polymer solutions.